Monday, October 21, 2013

MAMI 2013: Day 3

Monday, 21st October was my third day at MAMI. Gave the Sunday screenings a miss because I was so tired. I had intended to watch 60 going on 12 and Giraffada. There is no repeat screening for either of them. But do double check.

I intended to see five films today. Could only make it to 4. Or rather, 4 1/4.


  • Short Term 12:
I had a choice between this and a Mexican film called Heli. While the latter was about the downward spiral of protagonists into the hellish world of drugs and violence, the former was set in a foster care facility. And I'm always a sucker for uplifting cinema. Plus, I'd read a largely favourable response for this one.

I wasn't expecting much to begin with, but did not find satisfaction in the final outcome. 

Destin Cretton's Short Term 12 follows Grace (Brie Larson from 21 Jump Street), a worker at the foster care, who is very good at what she does. There's a dark past that still hangs around her neck like an albatross, but her co-worker and boyfriend Mason (John Gallagher Jr. aka Jim Harper from The Newsroom) is supportive all the way.

She begins to share her past with the newest entrant (inmate?), a troubled teenager named Jayden. Their uneasy bond is their road to salvation. The drama has its moments, which is why I can't dismiss this right away. But it's not making it on my recommendation list because of its languid pace and some non-inspiring conversations between characters. (How convenient is it that Grace and wild-child Jayden connect on the exact same trauma and ticks?)

Maybe I was expecting a more mainstream mood-elevator and didn't realise it. Still, after today there will be no repeat screenings of this film.

  • Bekas:
Karzan Kader's Bekas was not my first choice for an afternoon watch. What I really wanted to see was Blue Is The Warmest Color, which was running to packed houses. Instead, I had to settle for a story of two Iraqi boys wanting to escape the Saddam Hussain regime by going to America and meeting Superman. Sounds ironic? Sad? Replete with irony?

Bekas is all this and also manages to be predominantly uplifting. Brothers Zana (Zamand Taha) and Dana (Sarwar Fazil) want to wing it to America (which they believe is a city shaped as Europe while they reside in 'Africa'!) so that Superman can fly back with them and avenge the death of their parents, possibly killed by Saddam's soldiers.

So while it is on the face of it the journey of two boys across the unforgiving topography, it is also a bigger comment on the ensuing military rule happening in the background. That's easy to spot.

Kader has the remarkable ability to take you to the brink of despair and pull you right back towards a deeply satisfying conclusion.

This film is recommended viewing, though will sadly not be screened again at the fest.

  • Keeper of Lost Causes:
Mikkel Norgaard's film is apparently based on a book, something I gathered with a little reading online. I'd never seen a Danish film (not to my recollection anyway) and did not know what to expect from the thriller. But rest assured, I think it's probably the best film I've seen all day (alongside Bekas, of course).

Chief detective Carl Morck (Nikolaj Lie Kaas) is assigned to Department Q of the police department after a mission gone fatally wrong. The caustic cop is now relegated to a desk with an assistant named Assad (Fares Fares), where he is supposed to go over closed cases and sort them accordingly. The disappearance of politician Merete Lynggaard (Sonja Rochter) grabs his attention.

A beautiful woman. Disappeared from a passenger boat. Her brain-damaged brother Uffe (Mikkel Boe Følsgaard) was hysterical at the scene of the disappearance. What's happening?

Many may not find the noir thriller earth-shattering. Nor do I, truth be told. I could see how the climax would shape up. But it is still something I would heavily recommend. Do NOT miss. It's one of the most engrossing films I've seen in the festival so far.

  • For Those In Peril:
Oh Lord, I can't believe I missed Sulemani Keeda for this. SK was running to a packed house, so I decided to settle for this disaster movie. And I mean that literally. There is nothing I found worth writing home about. No clue what trip director Paul Wright was on while filming this. There were numerous walk-outs during this screening and I happened to be one of them. Damn! Really did want to see five films. This was the 1/4 I did see. And immensely regret.

It will be repeated on 22nd October, Tuesday at Metro, Screen 5 at 3:30 pm. Watch at your own risk.

  • A Castle In Italy:
Aaaaaaaaaaah! As if my mood wasn't crabby enough with the above film. I had a choice between the much acclaimed Gloria and this one. And I chose ACIT, because there's a castle. In Italy. With romance. What could go wrong, right? RIGHT? Wrong. So wrong. *shoots self*

There's a former actress with a younger actor pursuing her. Actress' castle has to be given out for rent because her family is debt-ridden.You'd think this was the plot but then there are such annoying, unnecessary plot tangents, you stop caring.

Writer-director Valeria Bruni-Tedeschi is the leading lady of the film. The limelight's on her, so other characters and the semblance of a plot take a major beating.

The film will be repeated at Cinemax, Screen 1 on 23rd October at 6 pm. But just confirm that, if poss.

Until next time, folks. Take care.

No comments:

Post a Comment