Tuesday, October 22, 2013

MAMI 2013: Day 4

It can get difficult to write about the films you see right after you walked out of the hall. I'm sleepy right now. I'm always sleepy after a succession of movie-watching. So I guess I'll keep it brief for the coming days since I'll be watching the night shows and stumbling home soon after.

  •         Killer Toon:

It was the plot of the Korean film (directed by Yong-gyun Kim) that got my attention (and maybe also the slightly ridiculous title). The editor-in-chief of a horror webcomics organisation is murdered. Cartoonist Kang Ji-yun is the prime suspect since anybody she sketches seems to die in the exact same way. So what's happening here?

I did not know this was a horror film. If I did, I'd probably avoid it like the plague. But yes, Killer Toon's a horror-thriller and not a very smart one. It relies heavily on the gimmickry of sound effects and make-up blood to bring in the chills. That could work for suckers like me, but for the more seasoned veterans, this one will probably just be a drag.

There are a few suspenseful chase sequences in the film which are the highpoints but the final resolution is so unconvincing, you cease to care.

But to watch it just for the fun of it (it won't get all that boring), Killer Toon's being repeated on 23rd October at Cinemax, Screen 3 at 6 pm. Do confirm and book.
  •          Miss and the Doctors:


Axelle Ropert's French romcom's about the wedge that drives two brothers apart after they fall for the same woman. Nothing remarkable. Not all that romantic. Pretty boring. Not sure if it's getting repeated, though.
  •          Brahmin Bulls:

Mahesh Pailoor's film stars Roshan Seth and Sendhil Ramamurthy as a dysfunctional father-son duo who have a strained bond after the former had a discretion of the extramarital variety. It is tested further when the widowed man comes to visit his son whilst also trying to meet the love of his life at a conference in Los Angeles. One of my acquaintances considers it the most refreshing film he saw all day. I found it dull, though some moments and performances were top-notch.


There are no further repeats for this film.

No comments:

Post a Comment